NOTICE OF INTENT TO MAKE AVAILABLE FOR PUBLIC COMMENT
THE DRAFT ENVIRONMENTAL STATEMENT (ES) FOR THE PROPOSED ReGen PROJECT
(FORMERLY THE ‘INTEGRATED SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM’)
REQUEST FOR COMMENTS AND NOTICE OF OPEN HOUSE SESSIONS
The Environmental Assessment Board (EAB) established for the ReGen project is hereby providing Notice to the Public regarding the availability of the Draft Environmental Statement (ES) for the proposed ReGen project (formerly known as ‘Integrated Solid Waste Management System (ISWMS)’). Cayman Islands Government (CIG) and Dart Consortium (the “Proponents”) indicate that the proposed project is designed to meet international best practices & standards and to meet waste management needs of the Cayman Islands as envisaged in the CIG National Solid Waste Management Strategy. This notice invites the public to review and provide comment on the Draft ES prepared by specialist consultant GHD. This notice also invites public participation at three open houses to view presentation of the draft ES and discuss the project with expert consultants and the Proponents.
GHD has developed the draft ES by using the Terms of Reference (ToR) approved by the EAB to guide the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA). The draft ES is a written report of the EIA process and provides a technical evaluation of potential environmental impacts that may be expected because of construction & operation of the proposed ReGen project. The draft ES also includes a Non-Technical Summary (NTS) that presents the conclusions of the EIA in a simplified manner. The ES has been reviewed by the Environmental Advisory Board (EAB) and the draft ES reflects the comments provided by the EAB.
The Draft ES for ReGen will be available online at www.doe.ky and www.regen.ky from Friday August 18, 2023. The draft ES can also be accessed via a Virtual Engagement Room (VER) at regen.ghdengage.com Hard copies of the draft ES will be available for review from Friday Aug 18, 2023 at the following locations:
- Government Administration Building, 133 Elgin Avenue, George Town
- Department of Environment office, 580 North Sound Road, George Town
- Bodden Town Public Library, 69 Bodden Town Road
- George Town Public Library, 68 Edward Street
- District Administration, Government Administration Building, Cayman Brac
- Gladys B. Howard National Trust House, Little Cayman
The public comment period will be open for 21 days from August 18, 2023 to midnight of September 07,2023. Comments on the draft ES must be submitted in writing using the following means –
- ReGen comment forms provided during the Open House sessions
- Electronically via e-mail to email@example.com
- Via the ReGen comment form in the Virtual Engagement Room (VER)
- Mailed to Department of Environment, P.O. Box 10202, Grand Cayman KY1-1002, or
- Hand delivered in writing to Department of Environment, Environmental Centre, 580 North Sound Road, George Town, Grand Cayman.
The public comments submitted via the above channels will be received and collated by the EAB. Any personal data provided during the comment submission will be regulated by the provisions of the Data Protection Act (2021 Revision). The comments received before the closing date will be reviewed by the EAB & the Proponents and considered in the finalization of the ES document.
Three Open House sessions are being arranged to inform the public about the EIA process and facilitate public discussion & comments on the Draft ES. Representatives from GHD, the Proponents and the EAB will be available at the sessions to provide information, answer questions and receive comments regarding the Draft ES. These sessions will be held on the following days:
- Monday, August 28, Harquail Theatre from 6 PM until 9 PM; Presentations will begin at 7 PM.
- Tuesday, August 29, John Gray Memorial Church Hall, West Bay; doors open 5pm with presentations and Q&A 6pm-8pm.
- Wednesday, August 30, Mary Miller Hall, Red Bay from 6 PM until 9 PM; Presentations will begin at 7 PM.
The Open House on Monday August 28th will be broadcast live via CIG TV and the recording will be made available for viewing post session.
The comment period will officially close on midnight of September 07, 2023.